Possibly. Often, state assistance is provided in the form of welfare, unemployment, or HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program). Any time the state is providing monetary assistance, you must complete paperwork and make certain factual guarantees. Sometimes, guarantees are made on a weekly or monthly basis such as how many hours per week you work, whether you have any other source of income, and how many applications you sent looking for jobs.

Incorrect, inaccurate, or false information, even innocently made, can result in you receiving more money than you legally should. Government agencies often check on information provided to them, and if they find conflicting information, they will contact law enforcement and a prosecutor’s office who will bring charges against you.  If a governmental agency contacts you to speak to them about money you have  received, you should treat the situation just like you were contacted directly by the police and respectfully request to speak to an attorney.