Your best bet at obtaining money for your injuries is for a personal injury lawyer to bring a claim against the defendant’s homeowners’ insurance or other insurance carrier. If the person who injured you is uninsured, your claim will only be successful if the defendant has the means to pay a settlement or jury award. If there is no insurance and the defendant has no assets, you may seek restitution for your out of pocket costs as part of a criminal action, or to seek assistance from the New York State Office of Crime Victim Services.