Like a criminal arrest, you will be advised of the allegation and your right to an attorney. While New York has gone through large bail reforms recently, allegations that you violated your probation can still result in bail or even remanding you to jail without any chance to post bail.  At your initial appearance, you should enter a general denial to the probation violation and ask to speak to a criminal lawyer. A criminal lawyer who handles probation violations will advise you of all your rights, conduct the hearing, or negotiate a resolution on your behalf.